Why partner with The Active Explorer?
Our editor, Erika Wiggins, is a freelance writer and blogger specializing in travel, food, and adventure sports. Raised by nomadic parents, she sailed the South Pacific and Caribbean as a child. She earned her pilot’s license before learning to drive, and now is a flight instructor with a degree in Aeronautical Science.
As an adult, she has hiked, backpacked, rappelled, and caved extensively across the US and abroad and loves to sample the beer and cuisine of each new destination.
She is a Forbes Travel Guide correspondent and her work has appeared in publications such as Solo Traveler Blog, The Travel Bite and The Wandering Coconut. You can follow her on Twitter as @Active_Explorer, and on Facebook.
As the years passed, the blog grew, and so did our team. We now regularly welcome guest bloggers and have added two new contributors, Laura Manina and George Osmun.
Advertising on The Active Explorer
Please see the Media Kit for more details regarding:
- Banner media
- Post sponsorship
- Gear and Product Reviews
- Destination Reviews
Erika is available for freelance writing assignments including online and print articles, copywriting, web content and technical/instruction. Her style is clean and concise without sacrificing engaging detail. Areas of expertise include: travel, adventure sports, hiking/backpacking, aviation, emergency services, real estate, medical and aviation.
What people are saying:
“Erika Wiggins is a true adventurer and an excellent writer. Her photography captures the moments with movement and clarity that make you say, “wish I could shoot like that!” She’s a wonderful guest on media trips and fun to work with. I highly recommend her work.” Mary Huff, Sr. Media Relations Specialist, Pineapple Public Relations – May 29, 2012
“Erika is a motivated writer who is dedicated to improving her craft. She communicates easily with peers and editors, and is open to receiving and applying feedback. I recommend her for a writing project without reservation.” Julie Schwietert Collazo, Lead Faculty, Travel Writing Course, MatadorU - May 12, 2012
Published Work and Recognitions
- Forbes Travel Guide – The Vineyard Grill – Startle
- Examiner.com – A Winter Adventure: Snorkeling with Manatees in Crystal River, Florida
- Examiner.com – Six Things Not to Miss in East Glacier National Park, Mont.
- The Active Explorer – A Hometown Christmas at Sea
- eHow.com – Kid’s Activities Close to Mount Dora, Florida
- The Active Explorer – Muddy TAG Cavers Support Conservation
- Examiner.com – Experience Florida’s Natural Waterways in Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf Islands
- The Active Explorer – 17 Gift Ideas for Adventurous Women: From ‘biners to Bags
Food and Instructional
- Healthy Happy Traveler – Traveler’s Bean Salad
- eHow.com – Samples of my 36 Published eHow Articles
- Solo Traveler Blog – Backpacking Alone: Hiking Solo Means Less Margin for Error
- The Active Explorer – From gym to trail: Adjust your workout for backpacking
- Examiner.com – 2012 Florida International Airshow: Excitement and Charity
- The Travel Bite – Mexico’s Hospitality Shines at WTTC Americas Summit
- Inn the Kitchen – Festival of Chocolate, Orlando Science Center
- ApopkaHangars.com – Living the Dream at the Orlando Apopka Airport
- Hydration Summit – Featured Contributor
- Travel Blog Exchange (TBEX) – Featured Blog Post: Week of August 9, 2011
- Outdoor Blogger Network – Featured Blogger: Week of May 9, 2011
- Quoted on caving in the Miami Herald, Wichita Eagle and The Republic (Columbus, Indiana).
Education and Memberships
- Embry-Riddle University: B.S. in Aeronautical Science
- MatadorU New Media School: Travel Writing
- Crealde School of Art: Photography I, II, III and Photoshop
- Central Florida Chapter of the Travel Blog Exchange
- Outdoor Blogger’s Network
- National Speleological Society
- Southeastern Cave Conservancy
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Florida Real Estate Broker
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Certified Flight Instructor